Monday, October 10, 2011

Cutting Some Ties (in a good way!)

Last week I had the opportunity to support Justin in true navy wife fashion! After all the guys in his class have done a solo flight, they have a party. There are a two traditions that are observed for this special milestone.

Air Force Milestone: After the student pilot does his/her solo flight, they are thrown into a dunk tank. However, if they are able to escape the dunk tank, their peers have to buy them some beer. Unfortunately, I did not get to see Justin after his solo, but needless to say, he did not escape, so no beer for him.

Navy Milestone: This part I did get to see! The student pilots get together with their IPs (Instructor Pilots) and the IPs tell the story of their solo flight and the journey of flights before that. These stories are called 10% Truth Stories. It is pretty self explanatory--only 10% of the story has to be true. After the stories are told, the IP cuts the student pilot's tie. Basically, if you don't get a lot of your tie cut, your solo went well. If you get a lot of your tie cut, your solo didn't go so well. I was lucky enough to capture the event (albeit from my phone).

 Justin getting his tie cut. He obviously did well! Not a lot was cut!

Justin getting a 10% truth story told about him. He was compared to Milton (I think that's the correct name) from "Office Space" and the IP did a little impression. I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes!!

What a great evening it was! I finally got to put a face to all the names I had been hearing about, I got to meet fellow military wives, and Justin's pilot buddies think I'm super cool (which I am :)). So much so, I'm now "The Cool Waldrup". Muahahaha. 
I really feel like I'm getting settled. I absolutely love my job, I love our church, and I'm even making some friends!! The only bummer is that I will have to start all over again in about 3 months when we move. BUT, I'm starting to really enjoy my time here and I feel I'm making a difference! What an amazing feeling! Now, if only I could find a good place to get my hair cut...

No comments:

Post a Comment