Thursday, July 5, 2012

Simplicity

When Justin and I first got married, people would constantly ask, "So, how is married life so far?!" I almost did not know how to answer that. My usual response was something like, "It's great! I love being married, but I feel like we aren't having a 'usual' first year of marriage because of pilot training." Some times, I thought people kind of understood, other times, I feel they just thought I was nuts. I thought I was nuts too, but the last few days proved to me that I was right all along.

Let me explain. Although Justin is PHYSICALLY here while in pilot training, there were many deployment symptoms (for lack of a better word). During primary, I saw him for maybe 30 minutes a day. He would be on base for 12 hours, come home, eat dinner, go to the guest room to study for a few more hours, sleep. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. When we traveled south for advanced, training was less intense, but Justin was still having to throw himself into studying and making sure he did well on all of his flights. I knew the importance of studying, so for the past year, I have been doing a lot on my own.

So, not exactly a dictionary description of a deployment. I was comforted in knowing no matter how busy either of us were that day, he would still be sleeping next to me that night, however, I would try to pick up the slack around the house, make dinner dates with friends, work out, read, whatever! I had to fend for myself because most of the time Justin was either flying or upstairs studying. I am always thankful for the time that he is physically here with me, because I know that a deployment is not too far off. However, now that pilot training is over (for now)...

I FEEL LIKE WE ARE TRULY A MARRIED COUPLE!

Hallelujah! I have told some friends that the transition from living in pilot training world to non-pilot training world can be tough. I feel like our whole lifestyle switches around. But, once we get past the initial, "Oh, you can do the laundry now!" "I'm going to dinner with a friend. What do you mean you will not have anything to do?" it really is great. Justin and I enjoyed a two-and-a-half week vacation in Oklahoma and the last few days we have been just hanging out. No flights to study for. No crazy hours. He is here and we get to just hang out! I never thought I would see the day where I would feel so normal just by being able to cook dinner together, or to spend 3 full days together (with the occasional interruption for paperwork). Although we will be headed to Jacksonville soon and it will be another couple of months of studying, flight planning, etc. I am relishing in this time together to be just Mr. and Mrs. Waldrup. Not Mr. and Mrs. Waldrup and airplane. 

I hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th! Now, this pilot's wife is going to go snuggle with her TV-watching husband :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey friend! I am finally catching up in the blogging world again. This post makes me super happy. So happy that you guys have this time together. I know that whole "long-awaited, dream-come-true" feeling... enjoy! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete