Saturday, August 4, 2012

Military Moving Moments

Well folks, as you all know Justin and I will be making our way to Jacksonville, Florida soon! He will be leaving on Monday and I will leave 8 days later. I guess we were pretty spoiled on our moves to Enid and Corpus Christi because this move has been TERRIBLE!

Terrible almost does not begin to describe the anxiety and stress this move has caused me. Within the first 2 days of Justin getting orders, I cried, yelled, threw my hands up in the air, and was all around exhausted by the time we got everything figured out (which took a good week or so).

Without boring you with the excruciating details, I thought I might impart some words of wisdom. Whether you are military or not, I hope that this helpful tips can help on YOUR future move!

1. Get it out of your head right now. Everything will not go perfectly. This will save you a lot of grief in the future. Going in with a Plan B can help you not wallow in self pity every time something goes wrong. Go with Plan B, stay flexible, and move on!

2. Stay positive! There's no point in being a Negative Nancy when there is absolutely nothing you can do to change the situation. I was pretty upset about the fact that I have to stay behind a week to wait on the movers to get here. This will be the longest Justin and I have gone without seeing each other since we have been married. Not to mention I have to make this 1,100 mile journey all by myself. However, I realized that I get an extra week to hang out with my friends! So, no complaints here!

3. Don't be scared to ask for help. Offering pizza and beer can go a long way. Plus, most people either have or will be in a situation similar to yours in the near future. So, most people are more than willing to help a friend out.

4. Remember to enjoy the adventure! Even for me, remembering this gets hard some times. I get wrapped up in the moment, start getting sad/mad about moving, and get overwhelmed. However, the big picture is that I am once again going to live in a place I never thought I would! I get to share this with the love of my life and I will make wonderful memories along the way!

These pointers are helpful for me and I hope they help you as well! If Justin and I ever get brave enough to move ourselves, I am sure I will have more "helpful hints". Until then, I will enjoy the movers doing all the heavy work :)

I sure am going to miss this house. And the view!

1 comment:

  1. all good pointers! I need to have an all-around better attitude about moving! haha :) from one Navy wife to another...you're doing a fabulous job and I'm proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete